NO MATTER HOW PREPARED YOU ARE FOR AN INTERVIEW, YOU CAN STILL END UP MAKING ONE OF THESE MISTAKES THAT’LL TAKE YOU OUT OF THE RUNNING.
Great news! You’ve gotten an interview for that job you want, so the next step is to ace it and get closer to getting hired. You’ve done your homework, researching both the company and the hiring manager you’re about to meet. You’re prepared with intelligent questions and great examples of past accomplishments that prove you’d be a great fit for this position.
What could go wrong? According to a new CareerBuilder survey, employers site these five instant deal breakers:
- Candidate is caught lying about something: 66 percent
- Candidate answers a cellphone or text during the interview: 64 percent
- Candidate appears arrogant or entitled: 59 percent
- Candidate dresses inappropriately: 49 percent
- Candidate appears to have a lack of accountability: 48 percent
Three tips to improve interview performance
Unfortunately, it’s easy to make these mistakes without even realizing it — and many of them are more common than you might think. So how can you avoid making a potentially interview-ending blunder?